Quick-cooking shirataki noodles swim in a creamy lemon sauce with tender chunks of chicken for a 20-minute easy weeknight dinner that satisfies your pasta cravings. Serve with roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, or sauteed zucchini for a fast, fancy meal.
For this dish, I’ve incorporated one of my favorite low-carb pasta stand-ins, shirataki noodles. They look and taste incredibly similar to traditional pasta, yet they have no carbs, sugar, etc. They do have a distinctive smell when you first open the package and drain them. The odor is completely normal and goes away once prepped. (I’ve included the prep instructions in the recipe below.) Shirataki noodles are made from the konjac plant, native to Asia. This plant is comprised of mostly water and a small amount of soluble fiber, making it naturally low-carb and gluten-free.
The chicken is simply seasoned with Himalayan pink salt, oregano and garlic — a nice complement to the pasta with lemon-butter sauce. Finding good quality chicken that has been raised naturally and free to forage can be challenging. Be sure to look for pasture-raised chicken that has never been given antibiotics or growth hormones.
Start to Finish: 20 minutes
- 2 7-ounce packages shirataki angel hair noodles
- 1 lb. pastured chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon XCT Oil or other cooking oil
- 1 large clove organic garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (leaves only)
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (keep zest separate from juice)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon Collagelatin, or other grass-fed gelatin
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano to finish (leaves only)
- Prepare shirataki noodles according to package directions (rinse for 15 seconds, then boil for 2 minutes in a pot of boiling water, then drain the noodles and place them in a dry skillet (no oil) over medium heat and “dry roast” them for 1 minute). Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add chicken, garlic, dried oregano and Himalayan pink salt to skillet and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from skillet leaving and set aside.
- Lower heat under skillet to medium and add lemon juice to deglaze pan. Next add butter and stir until melted. Then whisk in Collagelatin to finish.
- Add noodles and chicken back to skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with lemon zest and a garnish of fresh oregano.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (PER SERVING):
- Calories: 325
- Protein: 39g
- Carbs: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sugar Alcohol: 0g
- Net Carbs: 2g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated: 1g
- Monounsaturated: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 20g
- Sodium: 347mg
- Potassium: 18mg
- Vitamin A: 7%
- Vitamin C: 10%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 0%
Note on garlic: Garlic is in the suspect category of the Bulletproof Diet, because it inhibits alpha brain waves and could affect your mood – and depending on where you get it, could be moldy. For that reason, it’s not recommended that you eat garlic often.