Unlike many Mexican feasts that can leave you feeling tired, this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef uses clean and fresh ingredients that won’t make you feel foggy. Using short ribs or beef shank, the bones simmer all day in liquid and forms a gelatin-rich base to your meal.
Start to finish: 7.5 hours (30 minutes active)
- 3 1/2 pounds pastured beef short ribs or beef shank
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro stems, coarsley chopped
- Optional: 4 cloves of garlic (crushed), 1 teaspoon chipotle powder and 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add short ribs to slow cooker and lightly coat each piece in the spice mix.
- Sprinkle cilantro stems and optional garlic over the ribs. Carefully add water without rinsing spices off the meat.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or until it is falling apart. Check the meat at 6 hours and cook longer if it is not tender enough.
- If desired, drain cooking liquid into a small saucepan and reduce for 10-15 minutes over medium heat.
- Return liquid to the crock pot. Using two forks, pull the meat apart and shred the beef.
- Serve hot with Bulletproof guacamole, silverbeet leaves as a taco, roasted pumpkin, cucumbers, green beans and fresh cilantro.
NUTRITION INFORMATION (PER SERVING):
- Calories: 656
- Protein: 50.2g
- Carbohydrates: 1.4g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.4g
- Total Sugars: 0.1g
- Net carbs: 1g
- Total Fat: 48.5g
- Sodium: 413mg
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- Potassium: 473mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- Iron: 7mg
Notes on ingredients: Garlic is in the suspect category of the Bulletproof Diet, because it inhibits alpha brain waves and could affect your mood – and depending on where you get it, could be moldy. For that reason, it’s not recommended that you eat garlic often. Peppers are in the nightshade family and may cause inflammation in sensitive people.